Tuesday, December 25, 2007

WhatWeWantOurChildrenToBe?

I have a son - bright and very cheerful, but a bit timid...

Today, I watched another movie - "Stepmom" Julia Robert as the stepmom and Susan Sarandon as the mother.

Well... I cried (not a river but considerably flowing)
Why? The mother is dying of cancer and she was feeling sad & worry that one day her children might forget her and the stepmom will take her place. And she worried that her daughter (oh, she has a daughter and a son) will grew up to be like the stepmom (obviously she saw Julia Robert as a husband stealer)...

What I want my son to be? He was born as a clean white sheet... and my husband and I are given the task to colour it and the result will be how we painted it...

Again, what I want my son to be?

Of course, as a mother, I always pray he will be strong, successful, determine, well mannered and all the good things.. not just here but successful afterlife.

Whether he will turn out to be a doctor, or engineer, or architect, or photographer or whatever he will be - I will not dictate that for him. I just want him to be excellent in what he chose to become. And of course, i will mould all good attitudes and behaviour so he will become something great and not otherwise.

Gone were the days when parents tell us what we should become... cos by that way, many of us now don't have passion in what we do... it is just a job to do.

We always want our children to be somebody but we forgot that he is already a somebody today - we just need to observe and guide...

No comments: